The glory days of the TRANVIAS were featured in these postcards during the turn-of-the-century.
In 1881, the street car was introduced in the Philippines: Its blueprint was ready as early as 1878 by Leon Monssour. However, the plans remained as plans because there was as yet no financier.
In 1881, Jacobo Zobel de Zangroniz accepted the government offer to construct and operate the streetcar system under a contract for 60 years. Campania de 1os Tranvias de Filipinas was founded to manage the concession.
Over 1,200,000 pesetas went into the construction of the line. Experts were hired from abroad to supervise the installation of the tracks. To speed up the completion of the terminals in Intramuros, Binondo, Tondo, Malabon, and Sampaloc, Chinese laborers were hired to help the native workers .
The public was enthused. Although the tranvias had seats for 12 and room for eight strap-hangers, it was normal for a car to have a total of 30 passengers. An American visitor once wrote: "It is no uncommon thing on a slight rise or sharp turn for all hands to get off and help the vehicle over the difficulty."
Source: Ayala Museum Diorama Book
|Postcard dated 1923 showing the tramvia at Escolta.|
|Tranvia plying near Manila & Dagupan Rail Road Station in Tutuban, Manila|
|Tranvias plying the streets of Plaza de Goiti, Manila|
|Arial view of Manila showing the tranvias at the middle of the street. Circa 1920's|
|Tranvias and cartelas were the favorite mode of transportation in the streets of Manila|
|Same postcard view on top but different artist's rendition|
|Tranvia at the streets of Manila|
|Tranvias at Escolta, Manila|
|Escolta St., Pasay Estate Agent Office at the left side|
|Tranvias regularly ply the streets of Escolta|
|Bagumbayan road from Lawton Square to Luneta Promenade, Manila|
|Rosario St., CLARKE'S Soda Fountain and Store at the right side|
|Escolta St., Singer Sewing Machine Store at the left side|
|Calle S. Sebastian, Steel church of San Sebastian on background|